View Single Post
Old 07-22-21, 02:05 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
….I know that in Portland a pedestrian advocacy group was pushing for a speed limit of 12MPPH on a MUPS path. So that is probably the kind of direction it would take. Now maybe 12MPH is fine for some folks, but it would certainly seem really slow to me. Don't think there will be enforcement? I lived in Portland in the 2000's when police routinely targeted cyclists for infractions (mostly stop sign running) but with enough public outcry it can certainly happen, and nothing gets people riled up more than dead kids and old people, who are the most likely to get hit on a greenway.

Now why should regular pedal pushers care what happens with ebikes? Because the enforcement is libel to spill over to us. Throwing all bicycles of MUPS is probably easier than actually who is riding an ebike and reactive legislation and policing are prone to over kill.

What is the alternative? Well tossing all ebikes off greenways is possible but still seems a bit over the top. Reasonable speed limits is probably a good proactive step, and so is enforcement of existing ebike laws. In Oregon they require power has to be limited to under 20MPH and only when pedaling. Starting to enforce that would probably help too, because if we wait until something bad happens we are all likely to be caught in the blowback.
Terry Hershey in Houston is now limited to 10 mph. I’ve heard the fine is $300 and is enforced. I don’t use it anymore. My cycling purpose is transportation and my alternative is 35 mph posted stroads.

So yes this happens.

The question is how do you convince the 5%? that put others at risk of harm to not do so? This is the nut to crack.