Old 08-29-22, 05:28 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Yep always a bit of a crap shoot, I harpooned myself when I agreed to let them look for another color. I told them I wanted a little darker not but that dark and had no idea they weren't going to let me have any say in spending another $150 for it. By the time I researched it, found out it can be very orange sometimes, it was way too late "we already started, it looks fine". Uh ok I guess I'll have to be good with it and I was but not the way it should have gone IME.

I know its a very fickle thing, paint is brutally hard to match, my buddy is a world class painter and has way too many stories of it going wrong despite his best efforts. Everybody's perception is different, to red or too dark, too bright or too much metallic, too shiny or too much pearl, too light or .

It can be and often is a nightmare on a good day.
Yeah, I think this is why Groody Bros has the customer buy powder and send it to them. "We just used what you bought..." I'd hate to be in that part of the business. With my Stella, I told him (Jeff Bock) what I wanted and let him pick something. He called me and said "It doesn't match the original, but I think it looks good." I've been really happy with that because he was right -- it looked great in fact -- but if this had been a case like when I was looking for just the right shade of Celeste it would have taken a miracle for me to be happy with someone else's choice for the color. With the red for a Pinarello, I almost certainly would have been disappointed. I think it has to be painted over gold to get exactly the right look. I took the Montello to Black Magic and after looking at their color book I didn't have confidence in matching what I wanted so I went with a more basic red and only had them paint the lugs. Looking back, I wish I had had the whole main triangle painted. The red for that matched the common red I see on Montellos.