Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
[QUOTE=livedarklions;22647810]
Originally Posted by mtnbud

IMO: That's total bs. I do a fair amount of driving, I've never been unreasonably inconvenienced by a cyclist. I do deliberately "get in the way" of a driver behind me when they're likely to take a right turn into me if they don't know I'm there, but that's actually the legally prescribed safety measure in my state. Only snowflake drivers with a false sense of entitlement don't understand that.

I've tried the stay to the right of a right turn lane method and I got hit by a car. I don't intend to repeat the experience. I don't care if that is where the bike lane is, the guy who painted it in the wrong place isn't the one who's going to suffer if I get hit.

ETA: I really totally object to the assumption that hostile drivers are reacting to something someone did to them sometime in the past. It's a total bs alibi for really crappy behavior on their part. There's absolutely nothing you or I can do to get them to stop with this "get off my road" attitude.
Had the same experience, not hit, but close enough. Alive and "in the wrong" is better than dead and "in the right". I'd rather not be "in the right" by riding in a bad situation. Not going to get into the scenarios, but they exist plenty. I generally try to avoid the areas I've memorized having these "issues" to the penalty of more turns or elevation.

Also, having to explain the "own the lane" for 20 seconds so someone doesn't hit you to pass you with oncoming traffic to some bike riders or car folks gets really really really old. It's better to be alive and "do the wrong thing" to hog the lane for those 20 seconds and hold up the car behind you than to give them that "fake space" by riding far right then they hit you as they pass because the maths of the lane width car width and oncoming car do not equate to you living thru the experience. Mind you as soon as the situation is over, I get the F over so the person can go. Usually that gives them the "clue" that what I did was useful. So I don't just randomly sit there afterwards.
Likes For burnthesheep: