cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Paultreks
I'm an overweight newish roadbike rider (206lbs 5'5"). been riding inconsistenly for two years. I can now ride 20 miles on the flats, however even slightest climbs are difficult. I find myself stopping and fell once. Any advice on how I can improve? I've read building leg muscles is not the answer.

Thank you
All of the above advice and comments are very valid. There really isn't ONE answer. Fitness, weight, strength, adaptation are all 'Body' considerations which are interlinked.
Then there's equipment considerations, bike fit, gearing, weight.
How can these be addressed?
Bike equipment - of course gearing is a major consideration. It sounds as though you have 'gearing' choices. so maybe you have something which you can still usse, at this time.
Body considerations - all intertwined. Losing weight happens over time, Aerobic fitness happens over time, same for strength and adaptation to the act of cycling/turning the pedals and driving the bike.
There are a couple things you can do to get through 'time' while all this is improving.
Start by picking the easiest uphills you can find, that you think you can get up, with some work. Put the bike in the easiest gear you have. Warm up your riding by first dong a mile or 2 or 3 on a flat section. Then climb the hill, starting at moderate pace. Climb the hill without stopping. If you're able to ride out of the saddle - occasionally alternating between on and out of the saddle helps change how the muscles are used. Your weight is a small davantage 'out of the saddle' and going a bit slower like that, is ok.
BE DETERMINED! don;t give up. Climbing is not as much about being able to suffer, It's more about having, developing the determination to make it to the top.
At the top, coast back down, ride a short piece on flat section at a pace which allows you to get to normal riding state. go back to the hill and ride up again. Do same coast down/recovery.
Do this until you really can;t anymore. Always try to go 'one more time' after you thin you can't... Accomplishment by determination is a moment of joy.
Do this at least once a week, 2x would be better (with a few days in between).
As things get easier - pick a longer and/or steeper hill - repeat.
All the Above will improve - Fitness, Strength, adaptation and even Weight - if you eat/drink for the person you want to be. IF you eat for a 200 lb person, you will remain there. If you eat for a 170 lb person, you will get there.
No magic, no quick way, Technology only works to help. An E-bike will help allow getting up those hills - but it won;t change/improve your life as dramatically or thoroughly as you doing the climbing.
Climbing those hills will improve everything in your life.
Ride On
Yuri
OP, BTW: if you give some indication where you are, you might also get some good tips from BF members who are in, or the know the same area.
also, riding with others gives a motivation that riding solo doesn't afford. There are 'riding' groups in many areas which are 'easy, social' and encouraging. They're usally always welcoming and happy to have others join in. 'Expectations' are left at the spot where you get both feet off the ground and onto the pedals, riding.

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-19-22 at 10:46 AM.
Likes For cyclezen: