View Single Post
Old 09-28-22, 12:53 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I've always seen the on-bike camera as an exercise in wishful thinking. Not throwing rocks at those who use them, but after all these years it has never been an obvious solution to anything. "Can I get a witness?" is what a camera offers, but if I need a witness, it's already too late. Lawsuits? Justice? Save the next guy? (Save the whales?) Hmmmm, maybe, maybe not, uncertain. Can they / do they have preventative value for road rage or pranksters? One cannot prove that either way. I don't have a camera and I may have had one hassle in many many thousands of miles.
You won't wish you had one until it's to late...

I was involved in a right hook accident several years ago where the driver fled the scene.. While there was a human witness who stopped to help me they did not get the plate of the offending vehicle.. The vehicle was never found.

My accident was minor but I did have injuries that required a trip to the ER, a loose tooth that required dental work and damage to my bike and gear. All in all the accident cost me over $2,000.. But it could have been much, much worse and the costs associated with it could have been much, much higher...

If I had a rear facing camera it more than likely would have gotten the vehicle plate and shown exactly what happened and that driver caused the accident. With the plate info the police would have no issues tracking down the vehicle. The insurance on that vehicle would have paid for 100% of my losses..

Now imagine you have a serious accident with thousands and thousand in medical bills, lost wages from missing work and a destroyed high dollar bike and gear. Perhaps you are fine with being out tens of thousands of dollars but I am not. Since my accident several years ago I will not ride without a camera.. Period!

I ride a lot of miles in the City and get right hooked ALL the time even with a very bright Dinotte Quad Red Light..

Will I ever need it again? Hopefully not but if I do, I know it's there to capture the evidence needed..