Old 09-28-22, 09:21 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
There’s an insanely frustrating/unsafe section of road here in Perth that I’ll try to describe.

It’s called Hackett Drive and runs next to the Uni of WA. It’s very, very popular with cyclists being one of two main links in to the city from the western suburbs with a designated bike lane that is, in general, very good.

But it has a couple of roundabouts (American readers, please google what one is &#128521 where the road narrows and the bike path essentially leaves the road to join the pavement and then you have to cross the entry roads to the roundabout like a pedestrian.

It’s a joke. I’ve never seen a cyclist use the lanes here, and I ride it almost daily, they instead just merge into the road and use the roundabout as per a motor vehicle. But cars aren’t necessarily expecting it. There’s not even signs to let traffic know the bike lane is ending and cyclists will
merge.

I almost got squashed by a bus there (at least in my melodramatic mind I did) and I complained to Transperth who upheld the complaint.

Its saving grace is the majority of drivers on it are familiar with it, mostly being of the Nedlands/Dalkeith suburb and using it daily themselves.
We have them...
https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...i-16101541.php