Old 03-10-23, 10:08 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,833 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
What a great story, and a beautiful, crazy bike! A history like that gives it value to you that is way greater than it could ever be worth to anybody else (and I'm glad to see it here instead of as an overpriced ad on the Wacky CL thread!)
I like setting up my bikes in a manner that makes me happy, but might not appeal to others (it's my bike, right?) I am fully aware that the resale value of any of my bicycles is the sum salvage value of its parts - minus the time required to dismantle it. That's why my request for disposition of my bicycle collection in the case of my demise / disability is as follows:
- The wife & kid can keep what they want (likely not much)
- The rest goes to the local co-op for resale or parting out (likely the latter)

Can I get another pic of your cockpit? Is that red some kind of aerobar/trekking bar extension for a more forward handhold?

The bike has an early-generation SR touring handlebar (also used on MTBs) with a pair of longer bar ends that provide an added "aero" position when needed. The mirror is screwed to the left-side one. At a bike swap decades ago, I got a bunch of Spenco grips really cheap, and I use them to pad the bar ends. Due to the curve of the bar, there aren't a lot of mounting points for stuff, so the bell tucks in under the left shifter. The tips of the bar ends are useful for mounting handlebar accessories such as a cell phone mount if one is needed for some reason.

Also that blue bashguard, is that painted steel or blue plastic? I made a thread one time speculating about whether a 3D-printed plastic bashguard would be strong enough to withstand the pressure from the chainring bolts.
The chainguard was a worn-out 46 or 48 tooth aluminum chainring where I cut off the bad teeth and smoothed it out with a file. I painted the chainguard when I painted the cranks. If I was to do it again, I'd probably use more primer to improve paint adhesion (175 cranks on a low-bottom-bracket bike don't lead an easy life).
Likes For RCMoeur: