Thread: Cycling shorts
View Single Post
Old 06-08-21, 09:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So are you basically saying cycling is some kind of elitist activity where marketing is taken to the extreme? So let's say these people who you have had conversations with are put off cycling simply because of the marketing of expensive bikes and gear. What do you think is going to happen differently when they research pretty much any alternative activity? By the same rationale they can also forget about golf, skiing, running, tennis, fishing, hiking, etc, etc. as the inevitable marketing of "gear" will simply be too much for them to cope with.

Personally I haven't seen much evidence of this kind of thing happening out in the real world. Most casual cyclists I know don't ask many questions. They simply ride around on old, cheap bikes and wear whatever they feel like. Those who take cycling up as a more serious hobby soon work out what they need/want to buy. They come to forums like this to ask people to recommend them stuff - like cycling shorts for example. There's no need to patronise people for supposedly being taken in by marketing claims just because they choose to ride in clothes actually designed for riding in. I think it is actually very rare for someone completely new to cycling to rock up at their local bike shop and spend a fortune on bikes and cycling gear. I think most people usually do start off simple and cheap and then work their way up as they get more into it. I wouldn't let it worry you.

Well, thanks for putting a gigantic straw man argument into my mouth, but I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging to people who are new to the activity that they really do need to learn for themselves what works and what doesn't. And yes, I have seen a few "I don't think I need... is there something wrong with me" posts on this forum. Those are often followed by a lot of posts that say, essentially "If you don't buy..... you'll be sorry."

All I said was I've seen people get intimidated away from cycling, so I think a little reminder here and there that's there's some simple ways to try first is probably a good thing. You're the one freaking out and worrying.

Sorry, but I really am not aware of super expensive swim trunks being a thing.

And I never accused anyone of "being taken in", that's your spin.