Thread: Cycling shorts
View Single Post
Old 06-08-21, 09:42 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Blah, blah, blah. Like most people these days, they "research" the requirements of the activity by googling "what you need to know" articles and the like. Those are usually connected by ad revenue or otherwise to the products they will label as essential, and just searching on this is going to make the Pearl Azumi ads and the like pop up repeatedly in their browser.

To me what you just said sounds exactly like the marketers party line--convincing people that their product is necessary or beneficial by overstating the case is what they do. The best marketing doesn't even look like marketing. "Might not be the best experience" is so vague that it really can't be questioned, but it sure sounds like something I should worry about. It ignores the fact that most of the world doesn't wear anything special for their riding.

This is part of a much bigger discussion of whether the perception that road cycling has a high barrier to entry (which I think is out there) is a problem if you want more people to get involved. But OP is asking about shorts, so I'm going to bow out from that thread hijack.

Preach, brotherman! You don’t even need a BIKE to go ride as long as you have a broomstick and an imagination! Just hop on and flog it. Screw those Madison Avenue losers!!! 3-piece suit = real bike gear, man. And dong get me started on scuba gear. You don’t need a regulator. Just suck straight off the tank if you need that crutch. Real scuba Bros just hold their breath until they decide it’s time to yell at a shark! Gloves and a jacket, pants, goggles for skiing? Only if you’re posing in the lodge, dudes. I only wear socks and a toque because I’m immune to marketing, gear pressure and common sense.