Old 02-15-24, 07:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,910 Times in 2,332 Posts
Originally Posted by sdj
Thanks to all that replied. I get it now. It is all about the gear ratio & I must consider the ratio of the crankset divided by the cassette to get the lowest gear. I understand that the 2023 Liv Flourish FS Disc that I am looking at has a low gear ratio of .913. I will compare that to the lowest gear on my bike now that I use for climbing.

Creak goes Pandora's Box lid... Now that you are learning about gear ratios and such The common reference for gear ratios is by pretending that there's no gear system and the cranks rotated once per rear wheel rotation, like a kid's tricycle. Gear system ratios just allow you to straddle that virtual wheel, in a manor of speaking when it grows to the nearly 4x "bigger wheel" that the 42x11 gear results in.

Some riders shift rather frequently when in changing conditions, rolling hills, route turns and wind directions being typical examples. Some riders tend to leave the bike in one gear till they have to shift to be able to keep going (up a hill, into the wind). The former often likes the ratio amount change between gears to be around 10ish%. The later often doesn't spend many miles in middling gears ( so the intermediatory gaps don't mater) and the high and low ones are what mater most. Andy