Old 09-24-07, 09:27 AM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
biceps femoris tendinitis -- help?

With little to no change in my bike setup, I think I've injured my left biceps femoris tendon. Anyone else have this problem and know what I can do about it? Do I need to see an orthopedist about this or can I rehab it myself with a massage therapist?

I noticed pain at the fibular head after a few rides recently, and it started to get worse. I'm running Look KEO Sprint pedals with the grey cleats. I haven't really changed my training habits. I took almost all of July off, but I've eased back into a routine. It took at least 6 weeks for the pain to show up.

On one ride when it started to hurt and I had a fair amount of climbing to do before I got back home, I tried pointing my toe more inward to use other hamstring muscles more. That seemed to help. Since my cleat was near the replacement point, I think it had worn such that I was riding too toed-out anyway. I changed cleats and the first ride at an easy pace felt fine. I went a little harder yesterday and threw in some more hills, and the pain came back. I don't want to change my cleat position much if at all, because they had been fine in this spot since I put the grey cleats on in May (I used red at first). I had to make a lot of fine adjustments when I first put them on, because my foot or knee would ache from feeling like I was fighting against the pedal to rotate to a natural position until I got them right. I don't want to start that all over again.

I've had to get ultrasound therapy and other physical therapy for the peroneal tendons in the other leg before. I don't know a good doctor or physical therapist here (I've moved). Do I need to find them? Thanks.