View Single Post
Old 04-15-22, 06:21 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
scarlson thanks for those tips, especially about filing the hub slot verses removing material from the spoke.

These wheels are filled with multiple challenges:

First, the front wheel is a low-low flange hub for a 18 spoke radial laced rim. I have a spare front wheel, but those spokes are about 12mm too long for the rear wheel, drive side (the side I need two spokes for). Since the spokes are bladed, they can't be shortened to my needed 278mm length.

Second, the rear is a low-high flange hub. The non-drive side is low flange and laced radially with 8 spokes. The drive side is high flange, laced one-cross, with 16 spokes.

Third, the spoke diameter at the round ends is 1.8mm. All modern bladed straight-pull spokes appear to be 2mm at the round ends. I've only been able to find J-bend spokes in the 1.8mm size.

Fourth, as noted before, the hub end has the flattened dome-top end, instead of the more traditional shapped end of most spokes.

Finally (and this is mentioned early on in this thread), the Roval spokes use a unique brass nipple with a nylon spacer between it and the inside of the rim (see picture in post #18 above).

I now realize that the Roval nipples will not work on the 2mm threaded ends of the DT spokes I ordered.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll either:

---Give up on the Roval wheels until original replacement spokes or a reasonably priced rear wheel show up on ebay.
------Or bite the bullet and spend $250 to buy the pair currently on ebay.
---------Or just give up!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 04-15-22 at 07:22 PM.