View Single Post
Old 06-22-22, 03:21 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Swimming, and formerly running, and now rowing. Started out as a runner in h.s. (in the late 70s), I got into cycling and swimming in the early 80s when those newfangled, crazy events called triathlon started popping up. I did lots of them for the next few decades. About 8-10 years ago my knees and hip began to go south so the running pretty much ended. I continued/increased swimming and cycling. But for for a long time I’ve wanted to try rowing. Very recently I was able to pick up a used rowing scull for very cheap. So I’m trying that now.

Dan
One of the reasons I don't run as often is because of my knees and hips also. When I was in the military, I actually preferred running and averaged about 50-75 miles a week on my own. But I had to "diversify" to reduce the load on the joints, so I hear where you're coming from. I've never tried rowing though. And now that I'm arthritic in my back, I don't see that happening either.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Yer mom.
Rude. But she is single if you'd like, I could put you in touch.
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
My wife and I are divers, my daughter is a competition swimmer.

I'm a Floridian so swimming/boating skills were a thing for me, the women in my life have all been divers so getting certified was a priority. The flip side is while I didn't love being "Airborne" while in the Army I did take to sky diving in a modest way, my wife and daughter have taken to it with a vengeance. In my old job civilians got to jump once a year with the resident Army and Navy cool guys and the invites went to my wife with a +1 (me) even though I worked 100" from their buildings.

In the end my wife and now 17yo daughter have no fear except for cold, but if you want to do anything fun their with you because their addicted to adrenaline.
I wish I had the opportunity to try parachuting when I was in the military. Sadly, they don't let just anybody do it. I know I could still try it now, and one day... maybe. But I really would have liked to have done it when I was younger.