Old 10-23-20, 10:43 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I almost posted this in a thread that asked about helmet-mounted mirrors, but I am not interested in starting another debate over bar-mounted vs. helmet-mounted. I think they are both good options, each one suitable for a different type of rider.

However, on my commute the other day, I realized what it is about my bar-mounted mirror that I like so much. Not only does it let me see what's going on around me; it is also a clearly visible indicator to motorists that I can see them coming up behind or beside me.

When I am driving a car behind a cyclist, I can never see if he or she is wearing a helmet mirror, so if the cyclist doesn't turn around and make eye-contact with me, I have no idea if I am visible and if it is safe to pass. When I see a bar-mounted mirror and I see the cyclist gazing in its direction, I am FAIRLY confident that the presence of my automobile is known. Helmet-mounted mirrors just don't announce themselves as boldly and blatantly.

Honestly, I think daytime lights AND mirrors (bar or helmet) should be REQUIRED on all bikes ridden on the road; but as long as they aren't, I'd like drivers to know that I am using one.
I like my bar mounted mirror as well. Works well, and is bigger than a helmet mounted mirror. Both work, but I prefer my bar mounted mirror.
Likes For phughes: