Old 06-01-21, 08:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by FelixScout
Just to clarify for everyone, my interest in this bike is not to buy it but what it represents: The sort of needs based bike creation for those who need a bike. Though the new ad posted in the quote below looks like someone trying to jump on the bike shortage.

So the initial bash together bike is interesting to me because it is the kind of bike one can find among those who need a bike as a primary mode of transport when the normal routes of BMX bikes and Xmart bikes are are too much. In my time living in much poorer neighborhoods you would run into these hack job bikes here and there. Usually the wheels were mismatched or the fork was from something obviously different but these are people who are doing what they can to keep this mode of transport going and that means taking these unconventional routes. This represents that.

But bicycles are mobility for everyone at their core, are they not? And yes there are many levels and roles in that broad definition.

I checked out the guy's other listings--and as others have pointed out, this isn't the bash together you think it is. He had this same bike listed for $150. His other bikes are all Walmart-type stuff, sort of cleaned up and sold for prices more than what you'd pay new.

He's trying to take advantage of the bike shortage, picking up junk bikes and trying to make them look good enough for someone who's desperate for transport.