Old 07-08-21, 07:48 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Water is good, but you have to replace the electrolytes you are losing through your sweat (that gritty salt thing.) I will usually bring some packets of Gatorade powder to add to my bottles at refill stations, when I can find them.

Heat exhaustion is no laughing matter. I keep an eye on my heart rate with a HRM and display on my Garmin. If I notice my recovery time after a short effort starts to get too long (and 6 hours post ride is WAY too long) I know it's time to back it down, maybe even find a shady spot to sit and drink a bottle.
I knew I had issues when I could tell my heart rate up still when I got home. As a medical professional with 3 decades experience I should have known better. The problem was it was about 78 when I started and I didn't know it was going to get so damn hot. I just geared up and went. I may have to bite the bullet and get up as early as possible...which I hate as I am in no way a morning person !! That is good advice tho. The Gatorade powder would be a smart idea as well.