View Single Post
Old 07-10-21, 06:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Kri
Hi veganbikes and thanks for the reply. However, allow me to get couple of points added that I did not list earlier.
- I know people that wash their bikes almost after every ride (could be 4-5 times a week at least) and nothing similar has occurred although they do not own the model I am referring to in the post above.
- If water can enter the hub even once, damage is going to be done anyway. So I doubt the issue is washing it way too often.
- I did plenty of rides on salted roads this winter, therefore I had to do really thorough cleaning up until March, after that I was cleaning it occasionally because the roads were dry.
- I store my bike in an A/C environment, humidity is no issue here.
- I mentioned above that a customer bought a giant bike in January of 2021 and his hub rusted even quicker, the dealership told me that his wheel was of a much higher quality compared to mine.
- I have shared the problem with peers of mine, our common idea is that the hub is badly designed and it is prone to storing water.
- I have never ever used a power jet to clean my bike.

I should perhaps ask this, I don't know the info.
Use the @ (at symbol) and then name to let someone know you are mentioning them.

Pushing salt water into the hub could cause issues but the hub probably should have been sealed better but it is Giant and is a low cost bike. Hopefully though they will replace it if it is found to be a warranty issue. A hub does need grease and if loose ball may need more adjustment and re-greasing.