Old 07-20-21, 10:22 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I don't find the crock pot part difficult. It is the deep cleaning part that I seem unable to manage.
Initial cleaning can be a pain, but I usually just soak the chain in a citrus based de-greaser you can get practically anywhere, I pick mine up at home depot. It helps break it down over night. Then I use a 5 gallon bucket and add some new de-greaser and scrub the chain with a small stiff bristle brush....swash it around the bucket, let it sit for a while, scrub it up again and the rinse with some clean water. If it still feels tacky, use the bush again. Maybe leave it overnight in the stuff again and repeat. Should be clean after that...rinse with water, dry with a towel, submerge in some denatured alcohol for 5 or 10 mins, pull it out, wipe it down and let it hang to dry. Should be dry in about 10 to 20 mins. I typically do all of this in my garage, and have a fan blowing on it.

Once the chain is dry, put it back on the bike, put a drop per roller, let it dry for 20 mins, repeat. Let it dry over night, you are ready to ride. When it is time to reapply after 300 miles or so, grab a clean cloth, wipe the chain, add a single application of Squirt. and you are good. There have been times where I only needed to apply around 500 miles, so it depends on the conditions, did you get caught in the rain, etc. Once you get the feel for it, you know when you need to reapply.