View Single Post
Old 08-08-22, 05:38 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
You've got a very nice frame. Be good to it.

While, on a practical basis, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a 9 and 10 speed bike, like nearly none, as mstateglfr mentions, 8-11 will work, but keep an eye on component compatibility. You mention a frame..did you receive any components with the frame? You'll find that building a bike up can cost a few bucks. If you have, for example, a set of shifters that came with the frame..that may determine how you want to proceed.

With respect to 28mm tires..I have two Lemond road bikes, an '01 and an '02, and they both can run "28mm" tires (Panaracer GravelKing Slicks). The '02 is a titanium frame and 28s just nicely fit. The other frame, steel, fits 28s just fine. GK slicks are known to run a bit small (I've measured 26.7mm on H Plus Son Archetype rims). Tires in general can run slightly different sizes on different wheels.

jamesdak has a couple pre-2000 Lemonds, I think, and may know better on tires sizes for a '98.