Old 11-25-19, 12:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I have two lights right now that I routinely run. One is at a MUP/street intersection and the "Walk" sign is currently broken, so I would be there all day if I waited for it to change. That light would never change. I tried. So, I just wait until it is safe, and I go. The second, is a light that a cyclist cannot trip, I guess due to our low weight. I am usually there at around 5 in the morning most days. I treat it like a Stop sign and when it is clear, I go. Don't feel bad one bit.

Almost all Stop signs I come to a complete stop at, because, where I ride, these are places motorists routinely blow through. There is, however, one Stop sign on one of my routes that is in a deserted part of town. I am usually there at about 0520 or so. Every once in awhile, an early work person is there, heading out, but almost never. I can easily see fifty yards both directions and I routinely run this Stop sign because it is just a deserted area and there is no need to stop and re-clip. In my view, that is.

I don't like clipping out and in 5000 times on a two-hour ride. It seems unnecessary. But I do it. Am now very proficient at clipping in. It is a ton of starting and stopping in town. But it is required most of the time.
Have you told your city's public works department about the issues? Stoplight sensors are actually inducers(?) geared towards detecting metal; try leaning your bike over a bit when you stop. If that doesn't work, contact the city to report it and they can adjust the sensitivity. Also tell them about the places where drivers blow through intersections. These guys rarely get feedback, and they can't be everywhere, and likely not on bikes.