View Single Post
Old 05-16-20, 05:48 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Koga-Miyata tubing

Information on the tubing is a bit spotty at best but generally it seems to follow these lines for Koga-Miyata:
EDIT 2020-jan-16: Miyata confirmed most of what I mentioned below.

Seatposts seem to all be 26.8mm.

Steel tubing:

• Hardtlite® FM-1: Chrome-Molybdeum Splined Double-butted/Triple-butted (STB) tubing.
    • Highest quality grade,
    • Comparable to Columbus SLX, roughly comparable to Columbus TSX or Reynolds 753
    • Dimensions:
      • Wall thickness at lug: Between 1.0 and 0.8mm
      • Wall thickness mid-tubing: 0.55mm

• Hardtlite® FM-2: Chrome-Molybdeum Double-butted tubing on the main frame.
    • Comparable to Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL
    • Sometimes triple butted on their racing frames, though I suspect those would later be called FM-1 models

• Hardtlite® FM-3: Chrome-Molybdeum (non-butted) tubing.
    • Non-butted, wall thickness 0.8 mm for seat tube and top tube, 1.0 for down tube and head tube.
    • Simplest grade, comparable to Columbus Cromor/Aelle or perhaps straight gauge Reynolds 531

• Hi-Manga HM-2: Special Manganese steel tubing (complete frame).
    • Not a lot of information on this but they managed to make some pretty lightweight frames with this, especially in double-butted varieties.
There is also HM-1 and HM-3 as well as FM-A1 but no real information on it.

When they switched over to aluminum frames (Alloy 7005), which were double/triple butted frames as well, you would see less and less Miyata frames.

Alloy tubing:
  • Alloy 7000
  • Alloy 7005
Carbon fiber:

• Carbolite: Honestly I don't know much about the different varieties of Carbolite. From what I've read some of the early models used carbon fiber with a thin alloy tube inside, often lugged, later models are completely built out of carbon fiber. If anybody can tell me a bit more about this I will gladly add it.

• This image shows the Special Alfrex alloy 6000 0.7mm thick tube on the inside with all the different layers of carbon.
    (Original scan by Elevation 12000)

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-17-20 at 04:08 PM.