View Single Post
Old 02-18-20, 04:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You are not the o.p., the o.p. specifically requested lights that are not rechargeable. Next, you are deliberately taking my words out of context. Why? Lastly, you cannot protect yourself against being hit with lights or clothing. I am not going to debate it. I wear safety gear and mount the legal minimum of safety equipment so that in the unlikely event that I am hit I have complied with the law as it pertains to cyclists sharing the road with motorists. If a motorist sees you they will probably not hit you. Chances are good you drive. How much, how bright, and how extreme does a cyclists kit have to be for you to see them? Not very, right? Do you really need to see the cyclist a half mile away or will 200' (a city block) do the trick? In the worst case scenario a completely unlit cyclist will be seen at 50' and that is enough to avoid hitting them. The FEAR is unwarranted.
You are correct regarding the OP’s statement about batteries… I missed that and I apologize for the mistake. Though hopefully the OP will consider one of the many excellent lights with internal rechargeable batteries. However, even if the OP uses a light which requires new batteries each week, that is still better for the environment than driving a car – if it comes down to that trade off.

As for the rest of it, I do not think that I misunderstood your post, nor did I take anything out of context – to avoid that I did quote your entire post. The problem is that you made a pretty wild assertion without offering any evidence. You summarized it again, above: ”Lastly, you cannot protect yourself against being hit with lights or clothing. I am not going to debate it.” If you do have evidence to support this, I’d love to see it; but without such evidence, your assertion is not very convincing. In fact here is evidence to the contrary, and here is some more. These are just the first two articles that I found with a quick and easy Google search… But there’s plenty of other evidence to make the same point. Note that these are articles from peer reviewed journals – the gold standard.