View Single Post
Old 09-02-20, 12:14 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by gokhanbas
I had a hybrid fitness bike (Trek FX7.2) for ten years. I have only been biking in summer and fall during this time, usually one or two 20 miles trip per week, with an average speed of 12-13 mph. (For those who know Boston area, I’ve been riding from Lexington to Harvard square and back - fairly flat)

Then, during pandemic, I was introduced to ebikes, which seemed like a great idea. I ended up buying an Allant+ 8s. This purchase pulled me more into the biking world. I’ve been riding almost 40 miles every other day, mostly with lowest level of assist.. It’s an amazing machine, and when I start commuting again, this will be my commuter when possible. But now that I’m deeper in this, and that I’m definitely capable of pushing hard without the pedal assist, I want to get more serious about biking.

I’m 40, I’m just realizing how much I love the experience, and I am in fairly good shape as well. Should I buy a road bike?
And if I do, what should I get? I had great experience with Trek so far, and I’m not a racer. So I was eyeing endurance models; Domane SL5 might be a good fit maybe?

Thank you for reading!
If you're happy with your progress so far, sell the e-bike while the market is hot and buy a road bike. As long as you keep riding, your fitness will improve (and may already have) to a point where you don't need the e-bike anymore. You can commute on your hybrid and use the road bike for fitness rides. That's what a lot of people do, and it's easier to maintain 2 bikes instead of 2 bikes plus an e-bike. Good luck!