Old 11-10-20, 11:44 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Whoever the intended audience might be for these bikes, the fact remains that aerodynamic benefits don't become meaningful at the speeds most enthusiasts, even gifted enthusiasts, ride most of the time. Take a good look at the quoted wattage savings for things like aero bars, etc. Almost all of them are rated at between 35 and 40 k/h (22 - 25 mph). Can't speak for anyone but myself, but if I spend more than 40% of my riding time at those speeds, I'd be very, very surprised. And BTW, both my road bikes are well fitted to me.

So let's be clear. My gripe with proprietary "integrated" stem/bar cockpits is 1) They're expensive. If your fit does change over time and you want to change stem length to accommodate changing flexibility, that adjustment means you're going to replace the stem AND bars. 2) At least where the Canyon cockpits are concerned, mounting a Garmin or other computer is problematic. The only suitable mounts I've found are not readily available and expensive. 3) In my opinion, the benefits of aero cockpits are vanishingly small for the vast majority of riders. Sure, they look cool, but just how much inconvenience (and expense) are you willing to tolerate for aesthetics?