View Single Post
Old 12-03-20, 07:59 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Possible Frame Swap Advice

So I got myself into a little bit of a pickle (a good pickle), and I was curious to hear the thoughts of the good people in here.

Long story short (but I can give the longer story if you really want to hear it), I managed to purchase what I thought was a "find", picking up a Somec Dynamic frame and fork (Columbus MiniMax tubing), size 54 square, in pretty good condition. I put "find" in quotes because I later realized that it was listed on a bunch of different international Ebay sites. I found this out because I was doing some google research, as the bike apparently has a "MAX OR" sticker on it, instead of "MINIMAX", despite appearing to indeed be a MINIMAX (the serial number starts with a D, plus it looks distinctively like the MINIMAX Dynamic, and not the regular MAX tubed ProMax or ProMax CZ by Somec.

So here is where I get dumb. One of the results my google search turns up is a thread in that other forum named after a line of riders sticking together to maintain speed. So I click on it, expecting to get some info, and instead it is a thread about "bikes you must missed out on" or something like that. And the thread was started just the day before. And the guy that started it missed out on a Somec Dynamic he had been pining over and saving up for. And the guy who sold me the bike told me someone else was interested. And I think this isn't a coincidence... so stupid ole me goes and joins that forum and posts in the thread. What was I thinking!?

Anyway, I spit out some awkward post about how I sorta feel bad because the OP seemed to really have his heart set on the bike, and how it's definitely not my grail bike and perhaps even a touch small for me (I usually prefer a 55 or ever 56), and I go so far as to tell the OP that if I don't really love the bike once it is built up, I'll pass it along to him for what I paid. Well, sure enough, can of worms.

He immediately asks to get in touch by email, and I oblige. Opening email wastes no time on pleasantries, and he is immediately offering to trade a 55x55 De Rosa Primato (with EL OS tubing), straight up for the Somec. It even has a cool paint job, although I can't really see it because the one and only picture he provides is tiny. Hmmmm....

So I ask for more pictures, and the De Rosa is in rough shape (which he sort of hinted at). And I don't mind rough, but one spot in particular (where the top tube meats the lug at the seat tube) looks pretty suspect.

And that is where we are now (guess it wasn't such a short version of the story). The price of the De Rosa is exactly what I paid for the Somec, so it would be a straight up swap. The Somec is in much better condition (based on pictures, mind you, since I haven't actually received it yet), but the De Rosa is probably more valuable, and more importantly it's a slightly better fit for me (55x55 vs 54v54). Plus, the guy is apparently in NYC, so the swap would be easy to do in person.

So what say you all? Ok, I know what you are going to say: "we need pictures!" And I have them, but is posting them OK? I mean, would I somehow be a jerk for posting them? For all I know, the guy is also a member here, or a google search will bring him here. But, back to the point, should I go ahead with this proposed trade?