View Single Post
Old 04-26-21, 07:32 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by vicyclist
I've been road cycling since the 80s, but some friends talked me into gravel biking last year. I bough an old '91 GT Tachyon and converted it to 700C and have been having a lot of fun, but much of it is new to me...particularly what I should expect of some components. The 8-speed Shimano chain on my road bike is pushing 7000km and is still good. In contrast, I started experiencing some skipping and jumping on the Tachyon's cassette, put my chain checker on it, and it dropped right through the link. When I compared it to the new chain, it was indeed seriously "stretched". That's less than 2000km. When I bought the bike from the original owner, he put a new SRAM PC-830 on it. So is a PC-830 just a poor quality chain? Is this the result of riding in a wet climate in fall and winter and the chain getting covered in grit? It does get pretty nasty, so I clean it after every ride. Still...it seems like I should be getting a lot more than 2000km out of a chain, especially with regular cleaning.
My mountain bike chains last around 2000km, while my road bike chains last around 8000km. I attribute this to the dirt that gets on the chain while riding. So If you're riding offroad, it sounds ok to me.

I'm not happy with it either, but it is what it is, so I just replace them when it's time to.