Old 05-27-21, 09:02 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Trying to figure out the ethics of bike repair/replacement after being hit by a car. So far, the insurance hasn't been involved (though I did file a police report), though that might change as I'm going to the doctor tomorrow because it's been 10 days and my back is still sore and stiff - I have decent health insurance, so I don't know how that all works. The policeman who reported to the seen said he wasn't going to file a report unless we asked him to do so because we couldn't work it our ourselves. At the time, I thought the only problem was my rear rim and spokes would need replacing as it was a very low speed rear-ending.
Friend was riding with his wife and got a flat. While working on it his wife set her bike down on the shoulder of the road, there was no curb. Guy comes by in a pickup and runs over her bike. Driver is apologetic and promises to take care of it and gives his insurance info.
Later my friend calls the guy after he locates a used Roubaix and tells him the price. Guy freaks out and says he's not paying because the bike was "parked illegally".
My friend calls the guy's insurance company and they are eager to resolve it and cut him a check right away. There weren't even any injuries.

Seems to me if there are potential injuries they would be wanting to pay for the bike and get it over with. My ex and I were in her car and got rear-ended at low speed. No injury and a little cosmetic damage to the car. Adjuster came and looked at the car and they gave us a check which was very generous.
Likes For big john: