Old 03-30-20, 06:55 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Let us know how it goes. Here I just don't have the need, and patching is so easy and permanent that this is not an issue, so don't really understand you finding it problematic.
be aware that keeping on top of sealant drying up over time, if bike not used for a while.
also the required sudden fast high pressure to seat a tire.
This is another reason for me to not be interested, for now, but will probably learn one day if a trip required it.

I've gone through the steps of learning disc brake stuff and lots of mistakes, so can learn this stuff too one day I guess.

as you say though, lighter and more flexible supple tires do become addictive.
re touring,I still think it is still specific to thorny areas.
May change my mind on this one day.
I wouldn't switch out a good pair of tubed tires just to get tubeless flat resistance but I want to get new (slimmer lighter) tires anyway. I haven't had a flat in 3 years but maybe the next flat happens on tour when it's cold & dark & rainy & I'm behind schedule? Adding sealant can be done at home at one's leisure. The tubeless process seems pretty easy. Some folks say they've been able to mount tires with a regular floor pump, otherwise if I had to take the wheels to a local gas station that would be easy enough.

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
1. I did ride this Schwalbe G-1 Speeds set up tubeless in a 30mm tire down the rock garden that is the Rallervegen in Norway. I really should have been on a bigger tire or an MTB. Both my wife and I had it set up this way neither had a flat. I consider that an over stress situation for that tire but it was just fine.
G-One BTW has nice choice of sizes & widths in the tubeless-easy option. Marathon Supreme tubeless-easy only in 622 diameter.