View Single Post
Old 04-27-21, 01:39 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When I had a mountain bike there were hills I could not go up as there was not sufficient traction and the harder I pushed on the pedals the more the tire would slip. It may have been only for a short distance but it meant getting off and pushing the bike up the hill and hoping it was flat enough at the top to get back on and resume pedaling. Very wide tires produced too much resistance on harder surfaces and I ended up with a set of off-road and pavement rims and tires. The tires for dirt were still less than 3 inches in width and so not optimum for dirt or sand or gravel on less than flat terrain.

With an e-bike the pedaling effort of wider tires with a more aggressive tread is not much of an issue. I may need a wider tray on the bike rack but that is the only adjustment to be made. For riding on pavement I will continue to use my carbon fiber road bike but on dirt I want an e-bike wiith 3-4 inch wide tires. I plan to carry photo gear on a rear rack and so shock absorption is important and part of this comes with lower PSI and wider tires on the bike. This is even more important with so many bikes that ship with 20" diameter tires.
Likes For Calsun: