View Single Post
Old 04-03-22, 03:04 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by New2Two
I made my own removal tool to draw out the wedge from the opposite side. Get a thin piece of flat steel bar (approximately 1/2in wide, 4 inches long). Get a shorter 4mm bolt.
Remove the crank arm on the opposite side you pulled the bolt out of so you can access the wedge. Put the steel piece across the bottom bracket shell over the wedge bolt hole. Thread in the bolt through the piece of steel (you may need to add some washers to take up some length). Then tighten the bolt against the steel piece to draw out the wedge.
I hope that makes sense.
This is the way to go. I use a stack of 3 washers about an inch in diameter. I can do it without pulling the crank arm. Washers and bolt live in the saddlebag so I can address this on the road if need be. The wedge will come out. When it's time to put it back in, grease it thoroughly and don't tighten it too much. You'll be surprised how little torque it takes to hold the eccentric securely.