Old 10-04-22, 02:39 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
You guys are great! I completely understand what cyccommute is saying…but BT is the one who is more correct in the main. BT…it appears you are mixing words some times (as I read it) —. You and Cyccommute actually are both saying the object drops straight down…but you are clarifying (correctly I believe) that the bike is turning INTO that object’s perpendicular drop so RELATIVE to the rider, the dropped object “moves away” to the right (if the bike is turning left.). I think cyccommute agrees with that, he just explains it differently.
You are 100% correct that I'm mixing words. But do you know why? I'm a veritable wordsmith here trying every which way to rephrase these simple explanations over and over again, with the bleak hope that one of the ways will get through to him. Inevitably to an outside listener I'm going to sound repetitive. But one hopes... It seems I have not been successful. At this point I doubt I will ever be.

Cyccommute remembers just enough physics vocabulary from his school days to fake an imitation of understanding, but he forgot all the rules of how the words are put together. The result is a total clusterf***. He's like a kid who remembers + - × ÷ but forgot about order of operations. Here is a case of knowing 50% being worse than knowing nothing at all. At least if you know nothing then you know you know nothing. When you know just barely enough to cause you to falsely believe that you know, but in reality you actually don't know... this is just tragic... Combine that with false confidence... it's game over right there.

I'm not saying he's doing it intentionally. I know he genuinely believes he is right. There are many areas in life where conviction goes a long way. Unfortunately this isn't one of them. There's no real latitude for interpretation in this kind of grad school science. At first I thought he knew the concepts but was just applying vocabulary incorrectly. But at one point I brought up the velodrome example, and when he responded incorrectly I knew immediately that it was the other way around. He knew the vocabulary but didn't understand the concepts. The worst possible combination. Right there I figured he was probably beyond salvage. It's easy to teach A kids because they are stars. It's easy to teach F kids because they know nothing and you simply teach everything from scratch. But when you get to the C and D kids... that's what drives people to quit teaching. There is an insurmountable valley of ghoulish unmalleability here, it's soul crushing to watch let alone participate in.

That's my verdict. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Last edited by Yan; 10-04-22 at 03:04 PM.