Old 06-13-21, 12:34 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That hub takes standard spokes. A shop will just measure the thickness and length and replace the damaged ones with similar. (I doubt all the spokes of that side need replacing unless you actually did scratch/gouge them all.)

Do have the hanger looked at for alignment. They rarely survive this staying straight. The derailleur also usually takes a hit when this happens. Sometimes it can be bent back or the damaged half lifted off another derailleur.

A fast shift shouldn't do this. Still, now you know the consequences. I set my derailleur limit screw so that it just shifts reliably on to the big sprocket, no more to keep this from happening. (And I do this riding the bike. not on a stand.) It looks like you got off fairly lightly. Take this as a learning experience. You can injure yourself and destroy frames doing this. (And a dork disc might have stopped this. Might have had just enough push to keep the chain from falling off. I cannot say from first hand experience. I've never bought a bike that came with one - and in my younger days, it would have been the first thing I would have taken off.)

Last, welcome to the club! (Rather large membership but many are quite secretive about it.)
Please stop calling it a dork disc.
Likes For davidad: