View Single Post
Old 05-01-18, 10:03 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Did two crits this past weekend: Barrio Logan p/1/2 in San Diego, then the Dana Point Grand Prix Pro/1.

I flew down to LAX Sat morning, figured I'd have plenty of time, even with traffic.. but no. Got to the venue with 50 minutes until the whistle, needing to reg, pin #, and put my bike back together. Luckily @wktmeow found me and saved the day, pinning my # while I rushed to take my bike out of the bike bag and put it back together.

Somehow made it to the start with about 60 seconds to spare. The first few laps were spent wondering if I'd tightened everything down ok - not a great feeling. It was a fun technical course, with potholes and a little hill. Pretty standard racing, no breaks and a strong field. Ended up 12th on the day, some Jelly Belly guy won.

Then Dana Point was Sunday - the big one. 90 mins of racing, $12k payout. 88 pre-reg'd, I think 108 starters. Nice smooth roads, perfect weather. Long story short there was a huge pileup three laps in, that ended my race. Gashed my finger pretty bad, have nine stitches in it now. One guy had his foot stuck in spokes or something, so I was pretty lucky. Missed my flight out due to the ER trip.

Bike seems ok, but I'll be out of racing for a week or two while I heal. Damn, it's hard to type my finger all wrapped up!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJFXW-95V1g

Huge thanks to @wktmeow for hosting me and showing me around town!
sorry to hear. i avoid flying into LAX at all costs. LA traffic one any day fo the week/any hour is a real problem.

amazing you made the 1st race and did so well. that's a lot of stress to build a bike and feel confident enough to ride the way you'd need to in that kind of pack.

sorry about the stack-up and injury.