Old 06-30-22, 12:55 PM
BruceA78

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon & 2020 Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
There are few absolutes in weight loss. One of them is that a calorie deficit - calories in - calories out = a negative number) will almost definitely result in weight loss. If you add biking to your life without cutting down any other activity and without adding to your calorie intake, you'll almost definitely lose weight. (If you ride with vigor, you'll probably trade fat for muscle, which is probably a good trade, especially if you bike consistently over time. This might slow down weight loss.)

The problem is that it's not easy to keep up eating fewer calories than one burns, and it's not east to exercise consistently, but saying, 'This makes cycling unreliable as a daily, sustainable and easily accessed method of calorie consumption' is overstating the case.

Yeah, losing 25 lbs requires a deficit of about 80,000 calories, but that requires averaging only a 220 kcal/day deficit for a year. Not easy, but doable.
According to my Garmin watch and bike computer I've burned about 59,000 calories biking since mid March. I also stopped drinking beer during the week and have tried to control my portion sizes a little but basically eat the same thing as I did before and I've lost around 23 pounds in that time.
Likes For BruceA78: