Old 02-07-23, 11:19 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 956 Posts
I've used Squirt to good effect.
I've used Molten Speed Wax to good effect.
In all honesty, I think I prefer Molten. Squirt doesn't seem to flake off the chain carrying contaminants away with it as readily. So, the chain & cassette can get a little grimy necessitating a toothbrush scrub every once in a while.

The real pain is the initial clean. But even then, it's not hard. Per Molten: 3 dips in OMS, then some dips in DNA to rinse. It's a bit over-kill but was written as part of the Zero Friction Cyclings experiments test method for data collection. Not because that cleaning method is actually necessary for real life. Experiments need clearly defined, repeatable methods to be valid.

Any comprehensive cleaning with degreaser in a chain cleaning tool followed by a fresh water rinse & thorough drying ought to be "good-enough" to get going with wax IRL.

With Squirt drip-wax the key is proper penetration. Per the instructions on the bottle: Run the chain backwards for a bit, then re-apply to ensure it gets inside the chain, then let the water evaporate from the emulsion. This is something ZFC did not do. He mis-used it used as if were a drip-on oil lube. Unsurprisingly, the test results show abysmal results for this compelling MSW competitor. But published test-method is published test-method so I hardly fault him for that. This is why all proper lab reports have a discussions & analysis section to identify problems & suggestions for continuing research before the conclusion.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2: