View Single Post
Old 05-09-23, 09:06 AM
Ihar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Morelock
I'm replying to you, but this is just a general fyi/info for those who find this thread

there are a few of these filaments that have been floating around... they ARE NOT strong enough for functional weight bearing parts like extensions.
The first issue with "carbon fiber" filaments is that they are a low % of strands... this sounds fancy, but in reality carbon fiber is only strong *because* of the weave pattern. This is why you never see functional parts made with chopped carbon (besides a beauty layer) it NEEDS to have a weave (or long unidirectional strands) to have it's rigid properties.

This is filament that is likely stronger than PLA/ABS/ maybe PETG... but it is not on the level of what is necessary to meet safety requirements for an aerobar. There ARE filaments that would meet these requirements, but until you start looking at $200k+ printers, you aren't in that ballpark. Look at something like Aerocoach's ascalon extensions... they do make a 3d printed (titanium) version, but their cheaper/regular carbon ones are layed up in molds the old fashioned way. These guys are cutting edge for the most part, and they aren't printing in some random filament, nylonx, black aluminum, etc... trust me, there is a reason for that. If someone could print working cockpit parts on a home user level machine, they would absolutely be dominating the market right now... and nobody is.

This is really important for anyone reading... DO NOT TAKE SHORTCUTS, do your own research and really understand what your machine/filaments limitations are. Look at what happened to AUS at the Olympics with their extensions in the TP... and that was printed on a multiple hundred thousand dollar machine with lots of testing. Start with printing fun, easy things, learn the properties of your filament/printer, then work your way up. It could save your life!
Hello! I understand your health concerns. I have a 3D printer and have experience with carbon fiber. I also enjoy cycling and compete in the masters category. I'm interested in aerobars. What would you say if you print the parts on a printer (with thin walls), and then apply 5 layers of carbon fiber on top of the part by laminating? This is a lengthy and complex method, but the least expensive for custom production.