View Single Post
Old 03-06-18, 03:55 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I can never quite keep up on what a "vintage" bike is. According to l'eroica rules most of the things that were invented before 1987 aren't allowed on bikes that are supposed to represent production up to 1987. And then some people would call any bike with shift braze-ons and a level top tube "vintage".

So while I have several bikes with '80s parts on them, I don't want to bother figuring out if they would "qualify" for a C&V themed event.
Eroica rides do not make the rules for what a "vintage" bike is. They set their own arbitrary rules for what qualifies as an Eroica bike. Different rides may use different rules.

For Eroica, many inventions made before 1987 are excluded, such as wheels with less than 32 spokes, or aero brake levers, or clipless pedals, or indexed shifters (OK technically there was indexed shifting before 1987. And those are fine. Run your Positron or Sturmey or Super Champion if you got it.)

Many other inventions made after 1987 are allowed. For example, there's no restriction on the number of cogs allowed in the rear cluster. Run your 11s with friction shifters if you want. There's no restriction on gearing. Ride your 1957 Bianchi CdM with a triple crank if that gets you over the hills without walking. There's no particular restriction on using derailleurs, shifters, brakes, etc. made since 1987, or if there is, it's not "enforced." (I've seen plenty of dual-pivot sidepulls that were not Altenburgers.)

Did I mention it's arbitrary? If you don't get the spirit of it, I wouldn't bother paying for it or traveling to it. No problem. Do your own thing.