Old 09-13-19, 09:01 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet

If someone is convinced the risk of failure is zero, as in this case, then there is no need for mitigation and the rewards (weight savings of a few spokes), even if small are a bonus (money being no object as stated). If the risk of failure goes up.. but the cost of that failure is low (as in an easy extrication and minimal loss of tour time), then the rewards may also win out. But if the risk of failure is uncertain, and the cost of failure is high (having to walk a bike many many kilometers to a trailhead or ending a long anticipated tour) then the cost of mitigation (higher spoke count) may become more attractive than the marginal gains from taking that risk (low spoke count).

there is a risk in everything. and you never did ask if there was a plan. So before you go on and on about ending a tour, loss of tour time, blah blah..... just know that it is all part of an unplanned adventure. a general idea but nothing is set in stone, and neither are destinations. just 100% freedom to go left or right or straight at intersections and just ride and explore. which was the original intent. and then I calculated distance and was like oh hey Katy trail. sounds like fun. but who knows. I've friends in northern IN, North IL. south IN... I can't say that being anywhere around Mississippi river or Missouri river is very exciting. with Kansas city, Omaha, Des Moines, St Louis, New Orleans all being at the top of my Midwest cities to avoid!

but this is what happens when you JUDGE versus ask questions.

and then the ironic part of your rant about low spoke count (directed at me) was to another guy that just had built a low spoke count light weight wheel with the intention of hitting some serious back country gravel. Probably way more rougher gravel than I would ever hit across Indiana.