Old 10-03-19, 09:56 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Our local CX race is dropping the A / B / C format and just going straight AG, so if you're new to CX and want to race Masters, its open. There is a 4/5 category, but with so many NICA racers that's going to be fast as well. I was really looking forward to doing now I'm on the fence. Its probably a 'C' race for me and something I'd do for fun, so its not that big a deal. Admittedly, I'm probably placing too much value in the chance of a podium.

I think promoters are starting to drop the ball on this. Personally I always thought the allure of CX is that its relatively safe and the races are parsed out competitively. In this format you can pencil in the podium right now; a few of those guys are ex pro mountain bikers.

I've heard the counter argument to this as, 'but you get to test yourself against the fastest people out there...' That's true, but testing yourself against a vastly superior racer isn't racing. I know in Fondos that's a selling point but that's not a race, just a group ride and a money grab for the pros doing it. Racing for some is measuring yourself against a group of riders of relatively equal ability where you have a chance.

Is this an honest gripe or am I just being to selfish?