View Single Post
Old 12-02-20, 05:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
[QUOTE=travbikeman;21815523]I now have VELOCITY AILERON rims/wheels that were built by Pro Wheelbuilder with 36 spoke rear rims to better handle my riding. It's going on a Scott Sub Cross 30 with new Panaracer GravelKing SK 700x43.

I decided to just put tubes in for now, and wow that was tough getting the tires on. Going to wait until I lose more weight and possibly get a gravel/touring bike that I will fit these new wheels to. Will then test out tubeless. [
/QUOTE]
I'd guess most of the trouble is the tire. I've got 2 sets of those rims and a third on the way and have no trouble putting tires on the rims. Conti and challenge tires so far. Really happy with them.

OP, I ran tubeless on my mtb with Stan's tubeless rims and the factory tubeless tires. Any if the trails I rode that had a lot of rock if the handlebars turned in a rock field I occasionally burped a tire. Still had the same number of flats in one season but more rides ruined due to the flats. I saw no improvement in ride quality. My wife weighs half my weight and has had none of the burping issues so they may be weight related, really don't know. Haven't seen any good reason to do it with the gravel bike.
Likes For Russ Roth: