View Single Post
Old 05-18-21, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Enigma bikes: my tale of woe

About 25 years ago I moved to the UK and took up cycling, but you probably don't want my life story, so I'll cut straight to the woe.

What am I looking at, you ask? That, my roadie friends, is the bad end of an Enigma, a make built not far down the road from me here in currently rainy East Sussex. It's 10 years old, and has seen a fair amount of mileage but nothing extraordinary (40k would be a stretch. I don't use a computer, so that's an educated guess.)

This was in fact the third frame failure. Last year the dropout dropped out

and four years previous, the bottom bracket first made its displeasure known (I wrote about it here).

This was sold to me with a lifetime warranty, which is now not being honoured unless I pony up the equivalent of $850 "for materials". I would be a fool to give them another dime, so that's that, I guess. They also said that 10 years is a reasonable lifespan for a high end bike, which I kind of wish they'd mentioned in the first place, as I would've gone elsewhere.

My reason for sharing these pictures is simple. If you're looking to buy an Enigma, consider this another data point. If you already happen to have one and it's given you no trouble, great: may it long continue. I wish you more luck than I've had.
Likes For 905: