Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Show us your Survivors

I searched and out of all the “Show Us” threads I didn’t find one for survivors.

Something that I’m interested in is old bikes that are survivors. So many bikes had safety levers, chain guards, reflectors, spoke protectors and other items removed and tossed. Additionally a lot of saddles and handlebars get replaced and bikes get repainted. And of course there are legitimate upgrades made to bicycles over time. But when a bike survives for decades without any of these things happening I find it fascinating. I’m also amazed at some of the rare and classic bikes that are shown here in survivor condition and the occasional N.O.S. posts are unbelievable. So show us your complete or near complete as you found them survivors. The before and afters and those you kept them as you found them.

My old bikes are modest, bike boom bikes. But they have survived pretty much intact 40 or more years with the exception of a seat, a derailleur and a couple of reflectors missing.

1981 Takara 950 Deluxe 12 I found on craigslist. I had a Takara 960 Deluxe Touring in high school and this called out to me. I picked it up, brought it home, aired up the dry rotted tires and rode it around the block. I disassembled it, greased all the bearings, bought a cheap pair of Kenda gum-walls and replaced the foam bar grips with cotton tape. Some times I take it out on the same riverside paths I rode in high school. It is too small for me so I am saving it for my grandson. By the time he grows into it it will be 50 years old.

1980 Takara 970 Grand Touring. Another one I brought home, aired up the tires and rode around the neighborhood. It was a little less original as the Takara branded saddle was replaced by a Specialized saddle, the cable clips on the top tube are missing and replaced by plastic tie wraps and the Cat-Eye wheel reflectors are missing. I found a Takara branded saddle on eBay in excellent condition. The tires are Schwinn Records and dry rotted and cracked, but I still ride them from time to time. Plans are to get some Panaracer Paselas on it, go through all the bearings and take it on longer rides. Velo Orange has appropriate cable clips. It is a little large for me so the standover height is not the best, but the rest of the fit is great.

1983 Bridgestone Carmel mixte I picked up for my wife. The only thing not original was the RD. An appropriate replacement was easily found on eBay and another set of Kenda gum-walls were needed. The original saddle was not on it, but the guy I bought it from pulled it out of the back of his truck and asked me if I wanted it. My wife wanted me to paint it, but after cleaning it up she agreed that keeping it original was the right choice. It is a good bike for my wife and she has enjoyed riding with our granddaughter.

Likes For Chuck M: