View Single Post
Old 06-05-21, 09:41 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My '84 Univega Gran Tourismo WAS 100% stock (other than tires) when I bought it... the wheel reflectors didn't even make it into the 'before' picture and are already in my co-op donation bin...

BUT I felt the need to make it 'mine' by changing out a bunch of stuff... I'll be building a set of wheels using old-school Phil hubs/stainless spokes/Sun CR-18 rims (unless I find better rims) just because I want a set of 'bomb-proof' wheels to last me the rest of my days! The saddle will be a brown Brooks B-17 on a better 26.8 seatpost. Brake cables getting replaced with Shimano red Teflon-lined housing with slick stainless cables, and shifting will be ratcheting SunTour friction barcons with NOS SunTour bare coiled stainless housing and slick stainless inner cables. Red 'cork' bar tape, 27x1-1/4 Pasela TG tires, VO fluted fenders, and a 14-32 six speed freewheel (although I might use a 7-spd Ultra-spaced freewheel that I have in stock). Front Mountech derailleur will stay, and I have a near-mint (and bomb-proof) V-GT Luxe rear in stock to replace the rear Mountech... The 52/46/28 crankset will probably turn into a 46/42/28. On the rear will be a black Blackburn rear rack to hold some old-school Cannondale red 'Overland' panniers and a matching red 'Toot' seat bag -- still looking for red front panniers and a suitable front rack to fit the fork braze-ons. Brakes/levers/bars will be as stock, but KoolStop salmon brake pads. I have a brass bell, and a 500/150 lum LED USB-rechargable light set. Not sure if I want one- or two water bottle cages w/ oversize bottles because I really prefer a Zefal HP frame pump along the seat tube... Pedals are good to go, but I have toe clips/straps to add to them...