Old 07-17-21, 03:57 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
I returned to biking just before the pandemic. I had wanted to for a long time but needed to lose weight first. I mainly wanted to ride in parks where I had been hiking, but they became very crowded. The major concerns for these parks were people with earbuds who couldn't hear me give notice and equestrians. One park has a lot of hills and curves through the woods, so not much line of sight. I bought a Timber bell (rings with movement) which helped give notice to equestrians, animals, and those without earbuds. Those with earbuds still couldn't hear me, however.

So I sought out new trails. Fortunately there's a very nice paved rail trail nearby. It's been busy, but there's more room and long sightlines. Also, horses are only allowed in one section, where they're typically pulling Amish buggies. So I mostly ride there. A downside is that I stay on my hardtail's top cog and wore it down last year.

But I'm glad to see people out. There have been a few grit teeth moments--like when a child darted in front of me to run from one side of a covered bridge to another--but most seem to learn quickly and are getting to see paths and trails that they likely didn't realize were there before. I've discovered a lot more, anyway, which has been fun.