View Single Post
Old 01-23-23, 09:59 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,509 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I took my first ride of the year through the Columbia River Gorge today with @gugie. I can't seem to pass the Portland Women's Forum scenic viewpoint without taking a picture. It never gets old.

After a stop at Multnomah Falls for some much needed hot chocolate, we headed back to Trout
I think I've been to the Falls and Crown Point 3 times although years ago.

Only once was I on a bike. That was the first week of a 50 day cross country bike tour that started on the coast near Astoria,OR and the portion along the Columbia River brings back great memories.

Yes, that view! Most impressive! Intoxicating even!

One memory from early in that tour was when
​​​​​​ we got to Hood River.

We were riding toward the campground after picking up some groceries and a man flagged us down.

He asked us about our trip. He had an interest because years ago he had bike toured across a country.
It was a pretty short tour as that country was Panama.

After talking with us a while he said he had a mobile home in town which he stayed at during the week and then went home on weekends.

He said we could sleep there if we wanted even though he was leaving town. He had an older vehicle there also and gave us the key to it in case we needed it.

We took him up on the offer and
really were blown away by his hospitality and trust.

That's just one of the many accounts of remarkable kindness and hospitality we experienced while bike touring.

There are a lot of good people out there.

Also a great memory in the area a few days before that was The Metal Cowboy, Joe Kurmaskie put us up a couple days at his house. He and his family were especially kind and generous to us.
Likes For cooperryder: