Old 05-14-16, 12:59 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Just the other day.... I heard a woman make a comment about the cost of maintaining her car. Then added that she could never go back to not having a car.

The woman is about two years off drugs. Without going into details... after many years of drug addiction she got clean and now has a car... and as she put it... "a life". She said that before (meaning while doing drugs) her life was merely about getting (and then doing) drugs. Now without the self imposed confinement of her addiction she is free to go places and do things.

I myself often use a bicycle to replace automobile transportation. And when using the car I often consolidate trips... say wait till Wednesday and take care of several tasks in one trip... driving less miles and using less fuel. But I have a very full, rich life. I don't think driving more would in my case make life fuller (but I have to wonder).

Do others [say]... give up golfing because they would have to drive to the course. Or pass up concerts because of transportation hassles. Or not attend a new store grand opening... even though it sounded like fun... but wasn't a needed activity. Does being car free sometimes turn into a form of self-flagellation.

Help me out here: what is the connection between car-free living and drug addiction?

Last edited by Ekdog; 05-14-16 at 02:09 PM.