GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I have owned three disc equipped bikes. The marginal increase in braking performance does not justify replacing what I already have.
Agreed.

Last week I stopped by the Trek store to use the bathroom and refill my water bottles. The sales person noticed I was riding a Emonda SLR and then explained why I should upgrade my 2015 rim brake model for the 2021 disc brake. I told him it was simple math and return on investment. If I sold my bike as it stood i'd get maybe $3000-$3500 for it. A new equally equipped model would cost me over $8000 more. And for that $8000 i'd get a heavier bike, disc brakes, through axles and a T47 bottom bracket. I reminded him that I live on Long Island so there are no mountains to descend and my bottom bracket does not creak so it's fine.

And I did have a second bike that has hydro disc, 1x mechanical drivetrain and 32mm tubeless tires for inclement weather which is where disc brakes excel over rim brakes. And this bike cost a fraction of the $8000 I saved by not constantly upgrading.
Likes For GlennR: