View Single Post
Old 10-07-20, 04:32 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 893 Posts
I've been wondering lately about the harvest at the Cranberry Bog in Carlisle/Chelmsford, tended to, I believe, by the farmers at Great Brook Farm State Park. This can be tricky to find timely information about online, so I decided take the Surly Trucker DeLuxe out Tuesday and see for myself. This led to a 38-mile ride through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, and Carlisle, a return to old haunts not recently revisited, with lots of woods and hilly enough to keep the legs and lungs amused. As is sometimes the case, I left a little late given my time constraints, and so rode a little faster and stopped for pictures less often that I might have done on a mid-summer's day with a late sunset and no other commitments. But sometimes, haste is its own reward.

Fitch Tavern, circa 1710, Bedford: in 1775, said to be a place for a Minuteman to drink an ale in good company. Now perhaps a B&B.

Maple Street, Carlisle: if you're the right species, this beaver lodge in a beaver pond counts as a luxury condominium.

Milne Cove Road, Carlisle: we're not the only ones with a gnarly election this year, and lawn signs about this one appeared in several spots in Bedford and Carlisle.

North Road, Carlisle: circa 1789, one of several time machines in the neighborhood. I love North Road.

Great Brook Farm State Park, Carlisle: due to the pandemic, our restrooms are closed, but you can have all the free hand sanitizer you like, and your choice of one of our excellent trees.

Curve Street, Carlisle: green and secluded, a lovely place to ride a bicycle.

Cranberry Bog, Carlisle: Got Dog? Love Bog? Left Poop? Please Scoop! In my opinion, the authors of the Minuteman Burma Shave series could learn from this.

Cranberry Bog, Carlisle: definitely not harvest time. Conversations with dog walkers left me thinking that perhaps the harvest had run two weeks earlier, or perhaps there wouldn't be one this year. Always possible that it will start next week, of course. No cranberries were seen by me, in any event.

Cranberry Bog Reservoir, Carlisle: there's definitely some water here. Enough to fill the Bog? I don't know.

Curve Street, Carlisle: This image is dedicated to jimmuller , who first called it to our attention.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 10-07-20 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: