View Single Post
Old 10-26-20, 05:21 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
... I rode home, inspected the rear tire, and came to the conclusion that it had been sound from start to finish. Seems to me this sort of thing has happened a couple of times before over the years. I guess I won't rush to swap out the tube and palpate the inner surface of the tire for embedded sharps.
So, this afternoon I went out to the garage to collect the Rawland Nordavinden for a ride. The Surly beckoned me (the way bicycles will), and said, "Hey pal. Have a look at my rear tire today. Flatter than a flounder. What do you think now?" "Well," I said, "that does look somewhat unsound, now that you mention it." "You think?" said the Surly, living up to its name. "I suppose," said I, "that the moral of this story is that a slow leak is still a leak. I'll swap a new tube in tomorrow, and see what can be seen about just how this happened." "I'd appreciate that," said the Surly. "But I'll appreciate it more after you've done it. Tomorrow, huh?" "Oh, don't worry," I said, "nobody is going to sit on you in the meantime." "They'd better not," said the Surly.

At that, I put a couple of pumpfuls of air into the Rawland's tires (still pleasingly intact), and rode off to the Minuteman for a little ride to Lexington Center and back. Not so crowded today, with a few squadrons of the AHS girls cross-country team out on maneuvers.

Arlington's Great Meadow appeared to have a little ground fog, but perhaps my mask was fogging my glasses.

A large pine had fallen from the margin of the Munroe Cemetery almost to the shoulder of the Minuteman. Must have made a grand racket.

The Mile 4.0 Cairn Builders continue to evolve. Lately, tiny hats (or, perhaps, tiny heads) have emerged. Whether this is a parent-child pair, or a couple, they do seem to have a dog.

Speaking of evolution, the dot matrix sign in the fence of the house on Broadway in East Arlington that has been up since the beginning of the pandemic has morphed in a civic-minded way.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 10-26-20 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: