View Single Post
Old 04-11-22, 05:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
In some states (Alaska is one of them) there is a requirement for vehicles to move over if there is more than 5 cars backed up behind them on certain roadways. I like the concept behind that. While I may have a "right" to tow my boat on a winding mountain road, Alaska has recognized that others have a "right" to travel at the speed limit. It's common sense. It's common sense in certain circumstances where cyclists are involved as well. I get it though, some people are very important to themselves. That's why states have to create laws like Alaska's.

Just like I do when I drive, I ride with a cooperative mindset. I don't let my "right" to be on the road stand in the way of being polite to other road users.

I am not quite understanding the filtering and blind spots comment. It's this simple with me. I won't filter if my doing so may slow the drivers I just passed. Period. Cutting in line is rude and selfish. If a cyclist does it to me while I'm driving, I certainly won't go out of my way to make a courteous pass when the time comes.

Most motorist's indignation over bicyclists is inconsistent with the amount of inconvenience they "suffer" over the cyclists. Much ado about nothing in most cases. Motorists have every right to be pissed if a cyclist cuts in line though. Just like a person would be just in being upset if someone cut in line at the grocery store.

Yeah, no, I am not piling long lines of cars behind me when I filter up, I'm taking a position in the intersection to prevent the right hook. They pass me readily and can see me just fine which is the ideal traffic control. As far as I'm concerned, you're just advocating that we make a show of being polite. I'm not playing at "Courtesy Theater" when I'm riding, and as far as safety goes, I'm very comfortable with being self-centered, it's called "defensive driving" for a reason.

And this isn't standing in line, the "wait your turn" stuff is just a fallacy. The way I'm doing it actually facilitates a clean pass for the whole line of cars behind me. Being in the middle of the pack doesn't.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-11-22 at 08:26 AM.